Turbines are centered around pressure- the buildup, the force behind the pressure, the conversion of energy to pressure to energy. A windmill is particularly focused on the pressure buildup of wind. So how can we apply the Venturi effect to a windmill?
First, look at how water and air are similar. The flow of both follow the same pattern of flow, obviously density and volume difference, but they react when flowing around objects the same way. They both react to obstacles the same way. The Venturi effect is based on water, but can't it be applied to wind? Yes, it can. In my opinion, there are two ways the Venturi effect can be applied to windmill design.
- The Venturi effect is the reduction of pressure, so it can be
applied to windmill design to do just that; reduce pressure. This can be
applied more easily to VAWT's because the blades of the VAWT have to be
designed the reduce pressure on one hand, while building pressure on
the other. The blades of the HAWT don't have to do this. Application of
this effect can be a little complicated, because it specifies
"constricted section of pipe." Windmill's aren't made of pipes. The
Venturi effect actually has a formula for the reduction in pressure that
can be applied to the formula for wind flow. I am planning on
attempting it later on.
- The second way I think this could be applied is in reverse; if it is the reduction in pressure, there might be a way to reverse the formula into a way to create maximum pressure buildup. I am still looking into this, before I try it I have to get a better understanding of the formula and work with it some more.
No comments:
Post a Comment